Sunday, December 19, 2010

Obsession: Carnival Chalk Dogs

some of my collection. the two on the right are glittery!

I love carnival chalk, and I've been slowly building up a very fine collection of chalk dogs.  Just today I went to an antique show and bought up two new ones for just five dollars each! My first one ever, the poodle in the above photo, I was so excited over, and then as soon as I got her home I dropped her on the floor and her head fell off..... I'm always so sad when I get something that's been preserved and treasured for decades n decades, and then as soon as I get my hands on it, it breaks :(. Thankfully gorilla glue worked pretty well.
some more of mine - the big one in the middle has tons of glitter! and funny lipstick mouth!
  Carnival chalk (also called chalkware) was common from about the 1920s through the 1950s.  They were small sculptures (from teeny tiny to about a foot tall usually) made out of gypsum or plaster and painted with watercolors or sometimes airbrushed. There were banks, wall hangings, vases, and other stuff too, but I mostly just like the figurines.  My favorite ones have funny spatterings of glitter on 'em! They are usually really funny looking because they were cheaply made just to give out at carnivals and state fairs as prizes.  The colors are all out of the lines and psychotic looking, which I love! So much better than the stuffed animals and Justin Bieber framed photos they give out these days!!
current etsy listing from Vintage4Vintage , old ebay listing i was watching - i forget whose!

No comments:

Post a Comment