Wednesday, January 5, 2011

BEHOLD THE TURBAN

some of my collection
 
 
Turbans were my winter hat last winter, and now that it's cold again, I'm reminded that it's time to bring them out. Not only are they nice n warm and keep your ears warm too, but if your hair's a mess they can be thrown on in a sec and nobody'll ever know.  A favorite of old ladies and old Hollywood! Particularly big in the 30s, 40s, and 60s.

vogue fashion photos

left:marlene dietrich, upper right: pola negri, bottom right: marlene dietrich

left: elena sangro, upper right: gloria swanson, bottom right: greta garbo

I went to the library this past weekend and was looking through the book Everyday Fashions of the Forties as Pictured in Sears Catalogs - not the most exciting book of its kind but had some good stuff in it, including the following great page of turbans! I especially love the fan-front turban and the 2-way turban.

40s sears catalog page

I'm selling one of my nicer turbans, a wheat colored, beautifully draped turban, in my etsy store right now! You can find it here.

currently in the shop!


4 comments:

  1. ~ * ♥ * ~

    I think turbans always look so interesting, but I don't know that I have the guts to try to wear one... I think I'll just stick with another style of hat! ^ u ^

    There's no denying that those ladies look positively glamorous though.

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think turbans are really cool and definitely a glamorous alternative to a knit hat...but my head never gets cold enough to wear a hat, even in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellooooo Jan, it's Ghoul. I love your blog. Re turbans: http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/13095-popup.html Bucholz knit it and it looks amaaaaaazzzzing. (Miss you! See you sometime?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ghoul!!! oh my gosh i was just thinking of you because kate said you were visiting....i am going to email you soon x

    ReplyDelete