Thursday, January 27, 2011

JUST A LITTLE SEWIN'...


Last week I made my VERY FIRST garment from a pattern.  Contrary to my predictions/fears, it was not a disaster! Sorry, I know the photos are poor, but it's a medium weight brown linen with white eyelet sleeves. I didn't do much thinking on the fabric; I was thisclose to starting with a muslin mock-up (it is, after all, my first attempt - at least, since I made this horrible nightmare of a dress when I was like 14 and had NO patience whatsoever).  I learned how to make fabric buttons, buttonholes, blind hems, and to use facing! I dont know....I know it's not so impressive, but coming from having done only little alterations and repairs and not really knowing the right way to do anything, I was surprised it actually turned out at all. I had so much fun making it (not at all the frustrating, tedium I remembered), that I've been buying more patterns to make more dresses! Debi posted THE BEST list of old pattern resources the other day, which I've been poring over endlessly.

I used this pattern (c.1948)
I think next I want to do this 'Advance' pattern, which I just got:

...does anyone know if there's a website you can go to do date vintage patterns? I don't see a date written on this one...early 40s? It looks a lot harder than the one I just made, so I'm a little nervous..but I love that little cape and tie collar.

9 comments:

  1. This is REALLY amazing!! You did a fantastic job on your first dress--the contrasting details are great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job!!! fantastic! That second pattern does look to be forties for sure (the peeptoe platform shoes and hair + dress style help). I think mid-40s but could be a bit earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant job! You've obviously got natural talent if this is your first venture, imagine how good you'll get with experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw thanks ladies!! so encouraging :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute! i so wish i could sew! you did such a fantastic job, it looks professional

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love. It. The little scallopy edgings and the fool-the-eye jumper-ishness. Love it. You did a great job! I'll have to get up the gumption to try someday-- it's encouraging to see that you don't have to be an old pro to turn out something so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love that dress, great job!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've given me some confidence to get into my craft room and get sewing--if only I could get to my sewing machine! :-) I really like the scalloped detail on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! When I first saw this dress I thought it was an authentic vintage dress. Well done, I dare say you have a knack for this sort of thing!
    If I do half as well on my first attempt at garment making, I'll be pleased.

    Love your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete