Thursday, January 20, 2011

OLD MOVIE SCRAPS


A few months ago I was really into looking at old scrapbooks from the late 1800s/early 1900s on ebay. There were a TON, but when I went to check again, thinking I'd post about them, there was only one or two....
So, I started just browsing around (of course..) and found a new obsession:  old movie star scrapbooks! Lovingly assembled, vintage fandom at its best, these old things are creepy, cute, and great to look at.
The photo above and below are from this one, which is almost entirely dedicated to Norma Shearer and Clark Gable. Isn't that cute?


Below, pages from this scrapbook, dedicated to Barbara Stanwyck! 




 Next we have this Greta Garbo scrapbook, which is priced SO SKY HIGH at $1200...




I love these pictures from this scrapbook, which has lots and lots of stars from the 20s - 50s. Isn't this Jean Harlow page so great?? That quote!



This one really stands out for its so so so charming aged, yellowed tape.



3 comments:

  1. I would bid on items like this all through college and always get just a hair past my price range and wimp out. Always a bridesmaid. Aren't they so neat, though!! Another fun thing to look up are "girl's commencement" or high school scrapbooks 1900-1950, I drool over those and sometimes actually snap some up. I love to see such personal things see the light of day, people put such TIME into them. The still of Stanwyck in color and of Clark Gable reading... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, these are melting my heart. Fantastic!! I recently won a lot of 20s and 30s fashion cutouts. Some girl had spent countless hours meticulously clipping out pictures of Myrna Loy, fashion illustrations of dresses and hairstyles, etc. Too bad they were never put into a book like these, which are wondrous. I love that picture of Jean Harlow, as an aside. SwooN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fabulous! I have never seen anything like that before. I am going to have to keep my eye out for one now!

    ReplyDelete