Monday, February 7, 2011

SECOND SEW & AN AWARD :D


I'm almost finished with my second sewing project - I opted out of doing the 40s pattern I had originally posted and thought I'd try an easier 60s pattern first to practice a little. It's a wiggle dress with button trim and contrast piping ; the pattern is from 1961.


Just ignore the bottom! I know it looks messed up but its just pinned and based because I haven't hemmed it yet. I made it a bit shorter than the pattern called for.  Not sure if I will add the tie belt... maybe I will do one in the green linen instead of the white...I hate wearing white belts!

In other news, I received two 'versatile blogger' awards, one from Ginger at Sailing Over a Cardboard Sea and the other from Lisa at My Pretty Baby Cried She Was a Bird, and they ask that I do the following...

1. Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in my post.
Thanks guys!  I am so new to blogging and really wasn't sure at all that it was something I wanted to start; I was VERY ambivalent at first. I'm so glad people read it and actually enjoy doing so!
 
2. Tell you 7 things about myself.
1.  My day job is walking dogs..... and I really really love it!
2. I was a Russian major in college and went to Columbia U
3. I wear one half of a 'best friends' necklace (you know, the broken heart? Like in Twin Peaks?) & we were /maybe still are thinking of also getting matching mole (aka beauty mark) tattoos... we are very devoted.
4. I love....books. I love crawling into bed with a big pile of them spread all around me. I love long classic novels best. All time favorites: The Brothers Karamazov, Moby Dick, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Human Bondage. I read tons of music and movie star biographies, too (lately I've been reading a lot of silent film star ones in particular & posted about my favorite, LOUISE BROOKS  , which utterly blew me away). I also went on an insane turn of the century English and American literature kick this summer and read about 20 of the classics from that genre all in a row (favorites: House of Mirth, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Middlemarch, Wuthering Heights, Age of Innocence - I got REALLY into Edith Wharton.)
5. I'm half Chinese, my first name is French, and my last name is Italian.
6. I have a dog named Foxl and a cat named Beautl :)
beautl
foxl
 7. I just sewed my first piece of lingerie, and I am addicted! I really like it! Do you guys know of any bra patterns you particularly like? Maybe I'll become a lingerie designer and make old lady lingerie for the young......

3. Award up to 15 recently discovered bloggers.
  All blogs are recently discovered to me, cause I never read them until I started this one! But here are some I've been liking in particular lately:

 
 
4. Contact these bloggers and let them know they've received the award.
Will do

Sorry the posts lately have been less content, more me - I've been soooo absorbed in sewing I haven't had much time!

9 comments:

  1. ah! Thank you! I went to Columbia U (for my masters) too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress! And congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the award-- you really deserve it with your well-though out posts and informative content. --and double congrats on sewing that fab dress! you're a lady of many talents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys!! and debi - thats so cool! what did you get your masters in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for mentioning my blog - I'm really excited to have you as a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ * ♥ * ~

    Cute dress! I think it would look great with a green belt, you've done a nice job with it.

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you're a natural, can't believe that's only the second dress you ever made.

    ReplyDelete