Thursday, March 10, 2011

ART DECO KIMONO

Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp and weft threads (meisen)
Japan, early Showa period, 1930-40


So I used to work at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. While I was there (2008) there was a great exhibit based on the book Fashioning Kimono: Dress and Modernity in Early Twentieth-Century Japan. All the Kimono were just breathtaking, and this morning I had been thinking of getting a nice vintage 20s Kimono, and I suddenly remembered the exhibit. Thought I'd share some of the pieces with you guys!

Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp thread (meisen)
Japan, Taisho period, 1912-26
Gauze weave silk (ro) woven with stencil-printed warp threads
Japan, Taisho period, 1912-26
Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp threads (meisen)
Japan, late Taisho-early Showa period, 1920-40
Gauze weave silk (ro) with stencil-printed patterning (kata-yuzen)
Japan, early Taisho period, 1912-20
Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp and weft threads (meisen)
Japan, mid-Showa period, 1940-60
Hand-spun pongee silk (tsumugi) woven with stencil-printed weft threads
Japan, Taisho period, 1912-26
Silk-rayon blend with stencil-printed patterning (kata-yuzen)
Japan, late Taisho-early Showa period, 1920-30
Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp and weft threads (meisen)
Japan, early Taisho period, 1912-20

Ramie (asa) with stencil-resist-printed patterning (katazome)
Japan, early Showa period, 1930-50

Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp and weft threads (meisen)
Japan, early Showa period, 1930-50

Figured silk crêpe (omeshi chirimen) brocade-woven with lacquered threads (rama-ire)
Japan, Taisho period, 1920-30
Machine-spun pongee silk woven with stencil-printed warp and weft threads (meisen)
Japan, late Taisho-early Showa period, 1920-40
couldnt find details about this one, but it was in the show too

10 comments:

  1. WOW, gorgeous! I especialy love the one with the Charles Rennie Mackintosh-esque roses on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful-- i would love to have one to wear just lounging at home-- how glamorous! working at the museum must have been a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second one and the last one are beautiful! Would love to work in a museum!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. I wish I had been able to see the exhibit! I want one of each, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely stunning, true works of art! It would be too hard to pick a favorite, but if I absolutely had to, I would go with the blue, stenciled patterned one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i knoww, i had so much trouble choosing which one to put at the top - i wanted to put my favorite there but i COULD NOT choose one, and then when i did, i kept wanting to change it , ha.

    the show was beautiful, and it was one of the first shows to take place in this beautiful art deco building the museum had recently acquired right across the street from the main building. used to be an old life insurance co. really cool.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perelman_Building

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, the orange and yellow stripes and polka dots are so attention grabbing!!

    http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one with the sparrows (about five down) is killing me. It's so amazing to see ninety year old fabric still "pop" with such vibrant colors. I bet seeing these pieces in person was breathtaking. So neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Honey Hi! Thanks for your lovely post on my blog. I've just swung by to tell you about my 1930s barnet and have seen these amazing kimonos... yummy! i like the rose one best!
    the hair. I'd set it in pin curls all day (setting lotion, roll small sections around my finger and secure with 2 bobby pins) When it brushed out the curls fell, so Jen sprayed it with super hold hairspray and sort of finger waved it, except with a bristle brush. then we pin curled the fringe. I'll try to re create it and do a vid tutorial... as long as it works again! (I have silly hair!)
    Loving your blog and thanks for looking at mine :D
    G x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are breathtaking! The color and the intricate florals! Swoon,
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Otis and James accessory giveaway

    ReplyDelete