Sunday, March 6, 2011

H-AIR MAIL


I've been steadily adding to my 19th/early 20th c hairwork collection. I've loved these early 20th c. hair postcards for a long time, and just recently purchased my first two! They haven't arrived yet, but I just can't wait to hang them up. 


I don't know too much about the history of them, i.e. how or when this came about.... I only know that ladies would glue real human hair (theirs? I wonder if ever other people's?) onto the pretty heads of postcard images of women and send them out. I've only ever seen blonde, brunette, and near-black hair, but I would LOVE to see a good redhead! Often these strange and beautiful mementos were adorned with real ribbon or a little applique in the shape of a hairbow or hair accessory. So precious.
Here's a little collection of images I've gathered. Sorry many are blurry!
im currently trying to negotiate for the one on the right!! The ribbon around the neck totally reminds me of the ghost story 'the girl with the green ribbon' - does anyone remember that? i had a reading of it on cassette tape when i was little and would listen to it all day long. i was OBSESSED.

LOVE these ones. so totally creepy victorian style. and i love the fabric outfit glued onto the one on the left
oh wait, is that a redhead?? i cant tell



they often have this diamond-shaped yarn or string looped through, not sure why?

the one on the left is mine!!


the one on the right is mine!!




the one on the left is mine!! :D



12 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so interesting! These are really neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I had never heard of (or seen) these before. How fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"d never seen or heard of these before, how rad! I'm with you on those two creepy totally victorian ones. Maybe the one below is a redhead, I would think the vibrancy of the red dulls after 100 years.
    asking a friend who is a historical archeologist if he has any info or clues about the string

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this postcards,
    thanks for sharing,
    lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D

    & thanks melina, let me know if you find anything out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you find the most unusual things that I never knew even existed-- these are "hair-larious" (i could not resist that one, sorry!)
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen art made out of human hair at several historical museums, but I've never seen postcards like these! Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the art too, the wreaths and palette work, and i also really really love the jewelry! i have a little baby collection of it - a bracelet and a necklace. they are amazing and i have been planning to post on them for soooo long but there is just way too much to say; its such a fascinating art

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous/ghoulish. My favorite combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to say thanks so much for stopping by the Vintage Blog Link Party!!

    http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete