Thursday, March 3, 2011

just a little visit from the vintage police..



Okay I feel a LITTLE bit like a jerk, but I emailed an Ebay seller today correcting a listing of theirs. Is that out of line? I can totally understand if you are some old lady and you just don't know, or you make a little error in the description, I mean usually we are all just making our best guess. That said, selling a 1960s Anne Fogarty dress with inside tag in tact as an antique Edwardian mourning dress??... that's just crazy!! PLEASE people just do the smallest little bit of research. If it has a tag, it ain't Edwardian. Just googling the name on the tag will reveal that Anne Fogarty was born in 1919 after the Edwardian era had ended and did not design a dress until the 1950s. The seller had many items for sale and seemed to be running an Ebay business. Not trying to be a huge snob, but let's be honest, no one looking for actual Edwardian clothing is gonna be stupid enough to buy that, and taking a well-meaning tip will help people (those who are looking for what the item REALLY is) to actually find and purchase that item. Okay, I'm done now, sorry.

10 comments:

  1. good for you. Report such listings if you can because there ARE people who might get duped. Ebay is getting so bad. I've seen clearly brand new or used thrift items being sold as vintage and it burns me to think some young newbie to vintage is going to lose hard earned money because they mistakenly trust the expertise of the seller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to that! And also, if the seller is honest and the only reason for the mistake in the listening is their ignorance, they will be/should be grateful to have someone to throw some light upon the date of the item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it is very annoying to have to sift through the New Look category and only half the stuff in their is new look. I tried to stay off ebay the last couple years as I was getting too in debt but there used to be an Aussie seller that would take up the Blouse category as her own private venue SUPER annoying don't know why I never reported her but that was years ago perhops there wasn't way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wanted to send correction emails SO many times but never have. Kudos to you!! Stuff like that drives me insane. I've even seen that scenario in person. At vintage shops or antique shops, sellers try to sell -wooden- bracelets as bakelite and once, my husband came over to me holding a hat marked "antique Victorian ladies hat" and it had hot glue and plastic jewels on it. Dating vintage can be hard sometimes, even for experienced sellers but you'd think that they would make note of obvious details like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah my friend bought a dress that was sold to her as being from the 1910s but... it zips up the side. she didnt think about it at the time of the sale and so did not ask about it, but now we are both wondering about it...maybe it was just added later but who knows. i think the seller shoulda mentioned it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to do that once for a Victor Costa dress. I had one from the 1970s in my shop and another seller had one from the 1970s but she has hers listed as 1950s and so she listed it as far more than it was actually worth. Incidentally, her dress is still for sale, maybe I shiould take a cue from you and help her out! btw, Did you get a reaction from the seller at all?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. The only reason I dont like it is that sometimes sellers list a pair of 40s shoes as 70s and when people correct them and where they're listed, they end up selling for waaaaaay more than they would have if the person hadn't corrected them. :D

    Otherwise, it's good because definitely people are getting duped when buying "30s" dresses that were to me obviously made in the 70s or even 80s!

    I wrote to a guy once who listed Alice in Wonderland as Snow White

    ReplyDelete
  8. maria - i did not get a response...and they have not made any changes to the listing :(
    hopefully you will have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahah Im glad you sent them a messege! This happens all the time! I HATE IT!!! PS you anonymously report people on etsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am glad all you ladies are on my side on this one!

    ReplyDelete